[one-users] OpenNebula 3.0b2 after onevm saveas VM gone

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 06:36:37 PDT 2011

Hello Community,

 I have installed OpenNebula 3.0 beta 2 from source on Ubuntu Lucid
(10.04-amd64). I have built OpenNebula with MySQL
support because I want a MySQL backend. After building it I have installed
it using install.sh as follows:
# ./install.sh -u oneadmin -g cloud

 Everything went well and I ended up with a fresh OpenNebula install. I have
configured the MySQL databases credentials in /etc/oned.conf
and started oned. Next step was to register one Debian Squeeze image.

# oneimage show 0
IMAGE 0 INFORMATION

ID             : 0
NAME           : debian-squeeze
USER           : oneadmin
GROUP          : oneadmin
TYPE           : OS
REGISTER TIME  : 09/15 15:13:44
PUBLIC         : Yes
PERSISTENT     : No
SOURCE         : /var/lib/one/images/5c55b64e99e37b5b8b0d7dde918a91f1
SIZE           : 612
STATE          : rdy
RUNNING_VMS    : 0

IMAGE TEMPLATE

DESCRIPTION="Debian Squeeze."
DEV_PREFIX=hd
NAME=debian-squeeze
PATH=/home/images/debian-squeeze.img
TYPE=OS

I have create a virtual machine template and registered it.
# onetemplate show 0
TEMPLATE 0 INFORMATION

ID             : 0
NAME           : debian-squezee
USER           : oneadmin
GROUP          : oneadmin
REGISTER TIME  : 09/15 15:16:18
PUBLIC         : No

TEMPLATE CONTENTS

CPU=1
DISK=[
  BUS=ide,
  DRIVER=qcow2,
  IMAGE_ID=0 ]
DISK=[
  READONLY=no,
  SIZE=1024,
  TYPE=swap ]
GRAPHICS=[
  LISTEN=0.0.0.0,
  TYPE=vnc ]
MEMORY=1024
NAME=debian-squezee
NIC=[
  IP=192.168.150.11,
  NETWORK_ID=0 ]
OS=[
  ARCH=x86_64 ]
TEMPLATE_ID=0

The virtual network with id 0 is also created.
#onevnet show 0
VIRTUAL NETWORK 0 INFORMATION

ID             : 0
USER           : oneadmin
GROUP          : oneadmin
PUBLIC         : Yes
USED LEASES    : 0

VIRTUAL NETWORK TEMPLATE

BRIDGE=vlan150
DNS=192.168.150.1
GATEWAY=192.168.150.1
NAME=VLAN150
NETWORK_ADDRESS=192.168.150.0
NETWORK_SIZE=C
TYPE=RANGED

I have instantiated the virtual machine defined in the above template. So
far so good, everything works as expected. What I want
to do next is to update the debian image (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade)
and save it as a new image. Said and done. I first start
the Debian VM, update it and then using onevm saveas I want to save the VM
disk with ID 0 under a new name.

# onevm saveas 5 0 debian-upd1

I mention that I ran the above command while the Debian VM was on. As far as
I understand from documentation this is not a problem but
the contents of the image are only created after the VM is shutdown
gracefully (using onevm shutdown). So I did just that.

# onevm shutdown 5
# onevm list
    ID USER     GROUP    NAME         STAT CPU     MEM        HOSTNAME
 TIME
     5 oneadmin oneadmin one-5        shut   0      0K          node02 00
00:09:18

I verify if the image is created using oneimage. I have double checked
listing the SOURCE and it is there.

# oneimage show 2
IMAGE 2 INFORMATION

ID             : 2
NAME           : debian-s-upd1
USER           : oneadmin
GROUP          : oneadmin
TYPE           : OS
REGISTER TIME  : 09/15 16:15:06
PUBLIC         : No
PERSISTENT     : No
SOURCE         : /var/lib/one/images/b92349a9f4ad479facf95f6706777d11
SIZE           : 721
STATE          : rdy
RUNNING_VMS    : 0

IMAGE TEMPLATE

DEV_PREFIX=hd
NAME=debian-s-upd1
SOURCE=-

The problem. The Debian VM is gone, it is not listed anymore. onevm returns
empty list. The Debian VM was the only
one active. Is this normal behavior if you save the only disk the VM has?

Thank you,
network warrior