[one-users] CPU Utilisation

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 07:22:23 PDT 2011

Hello,

KVM cpu consumption functionality is a bit lacking. KVM nor libvirt
give this data and right now the cpu consumption is got from 'ps'
command. This value is not the instantaneous consumption but the
percentage the process was consuming cycles. We are planning to change
the method to get this value in the near future.

Even if this value is not correct the scheduler will behave as there's
also the notion of Available CPU (ACPU), that is, the CPU not reserved
and this is not got from the monitoring script.

Bye

2011/10/5 Idafen Santana Pérez <idafensp at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Opennebula to create and run several VM for intensive
> processing. I can run them and start a set of java based jobs. Using
> the "top" command I get a CPU usage of ~95%, but when is ask
> Opennebula (using onevm list) I get no more than a "3" in the CPU
> column.
>
> I'm using Opennbula 2.2 on a CentOS 5 distro with KVM. Is there any
> bug related to this? May be a problem in my virtulization system?
>
> Thanks  in advance.
> Idafen

Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher