[one-users] A question about the utilization of VMs

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Wed Nov 23 14:02:32 PST 2011

> However, I have another problem now – after I finish the utilization of my
> VM (which means, I kill the util. process, thus making all my virtual memory
> free again), the real host memory still stays utilized.

Could that the memory no freed be in the cached/buffers?

> What could be the reason that my VM shows 0% mem. util., while the physical
> host still has 100%???
>
> I thought maybe the reason could be that ONE accesses the “virto_balloon”?
> Can the authors maybe give me an answer to this?

No there is no specific access to that. ONE prepares the deployment
file by setting the max memory <memory> and does not set
<currentMemory>

> All in all, is there any way to make this work – to fully utilize a VM for
> 10 min. and the host stays utilized as well, and when I stop the utilization
> that both the VM and host memory decrease???

Are you sure that the memory is no cached (i.e. will be freed when
request by the kernel?)

--
Dr. Ruben Santiago Montero
Associate Professor (Profesor Titular), Complutense University of Madrid

Weblog: http://blog.dsa-research.org/?author=7