[one-users] SAN

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Tue Nov 22 11:42:21 PST 2011

Hi,

Well, in fact an iSCSI SAN can be used in several ways:

1.- Export the iSCSI volume with a NAS.  This is supported through the
tm shared drivers[1]. There are also drivers for the MooseFS [2]. If
you are using this approach you can improve the efficiency by using a
FS that support snapshotting (ZFS, BRTFS - some efforts undergoing in
this area) or image formats that can do that (e.g. qcow2 see [3]).
This requires some scripting to adapt it to you workflow.

2.- Create LVM volumes on the iSCSI for the images using golden LVM
devices. This may require some LVM cluster support. You may take the
LVM driver as a basic example which can be tailored to fit your
specific scenario [4]

3.- Create the devices and export them through iSCSI. This requires
some modification of the TM drivers to restart initiators. Some
information of options 2 and 3 can be found in [5]

[1] http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.0:sfs
[2] http://opennebula.org/software:ecosystem:moosefs
[3] https://support.opennebula.pro/entries/348847-using-qcow-images
[4] http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.0:lvm