[one-users] use of IMAGE_ID and its ilk in 3.0

Thomas Higdon thigdon at akamai.com
Thu Nov 3 09:35:34 PDT 2011

Hi, it's good to know the ONE developers are so open to feedback about
the way the system works. ONE seems great from what I've used so far.

The solution that you would propose would work fine for me, mostly
because it looks like that for a single user, the templating system
would work the same as it did for 2.2, which was ok with me.

I'm a little leery of the idea of ever forcing users to use IMAGE_ID or
NETWORK_ID parameters. In my mind, forcing users to specify these in
static template strings/files is equivalent to some Unix command-line
tool asking a user to specify the inode number of a file rather than its
name.

Here's a suggestion. Your database is basically a key-value store. In
2.2, the only key you allowed is the name (in 3.0 it's only ID). I'd
suggest that you allow more freedom in the specification of keys. You
might ask users to specify a name for resources that they own. If they
are asking for resources that they don't own, then they must also
specify which user owns that resource, or perhaps which group. If
there's ambiguity, then error on that.

Another suggestion I would make is to remove the NAME attribute from all
templates (or make it optional) and allow users to specify a name on the
command-line, defaulting to something reasonable, as is done now for
template instantiation. That way, users who don't care what the name is
don't need to specify it, and users who do care don't need to edit a
text file to instantiate multiple instances of the same resource. I see
this as being useful in a scenario where I want to create <x> read/write
250GB disks for <x> VMs, but not necessarily create <x> template files,
or edit one file <x> times.

At the end of the day, desirable behavior for me is to be able to create
a set of static template files for networks, images and VMs, and be able
to instantiate all of them in the proper order and have it just work.
ONE 3.0 does not allow me to do that.

Another more radical suggestion is to do away with the template
management system entirely, and switch to a system where the templates
are derived directly from files that exist on the filesystem. This has a
number of advantages I can see (if you're interested I'll explain
further), but it might be more change than you're willing to go through
at this point.