[one-users] Not able to ping running VM from outside network

Errol Samuels esamuels at carismatel.com
Fri Nov 25 06:42:16 PST 2011

Hello,

I am trying to get the test ttylinux VM going after a few days of
putting together bits of documentation to get a better understanding of
KVM. So far the VM is running and I am able to ssh into it from the
Control Server and the Host but I am unable to ping it from any other
external IP.

I checked the relevant FAQ:
"http://wiki.opennebula.org/faq#my_vm_is_running_but_i_get_no_answer_from_pings_what_s_wrong"
and made some comments below.

> There are several reasons for this, check:
>
>  *
>     You have created a network with a valid bridge in the nodes of
>     your cluster

Yes, the bridge configuration is as follows:

** ( Real IP has been substituted ) **

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
auto virbr0
iface virbr0 inet static
    address 1.1.74.146
    netmask 255.255.255.248
    network 1.1.74.144
    gateway 1.1.74.145
    broadcast 1.1.74.151
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_fd 9
    bridge_hello 2
    bridge_maxage 12
    bridge_stp off

>  *
>     You have defined a NIC attribute in your VM attached to that network

NAME   = ttylinux
CPU    = 0.1
MEMORY = 64

DISK   = [ IMAGE_ID = 2 ]

NIC    = [ NETWORK_ID = 10 ]

FEATURES=[ acpi="no" ]

CONTEXT = [
     hostname    = "$NAME",
     ip_public   = "1.1.74.147",
     files      = "/srv/cloud/one/one-templates/init.sh
/srv/cloud/one/.ssh/id_rsa.pub",
     target      = "hdc",
     root_pubkey = "id_rsa.pub",
     username    = "oneadmin",
     user_pubkey = "id_rsa.pub"
  ]

>  *
>     The VM is prepared to configure the interface to use a valid IP in
>     that network. You can:
>         Configure the VM to dynamically configure the IP using its MAC
>         address (Contextualzation
>         <http://wiki.opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:cong>)
>         Configure the VM to statically set a given IP of the network
>         Put a DHCP server attached to that network

Yes, the VM is statically set a given IP of the network.

>  *
>     Also be sure that you are pinging the VM from a host with a route
>     to the network

Yes, I am able to ping and ssh the VM from the Control Server which is
on the same public VLAN but I am unable to ping that IP from my network
for example.

oneadmin at cps:~/one-templates$ onevnet list
   ID USER     GROUP    NAME              TYPE BRIDGE PUB  LEASES
   10 oneadmin oneadmin Red LAN NJ01         F virbr0  No       1
     5 oneadmin oneadmin Blue LAN                 R virbr1 No       0

oneadmin at cps:~/one-templates$ onevm list
     ID USER     GROUP    NAME         STAT CPU     MEM
HOSTNAME        TIME
     13 oneadmin oneadmin ttylinux     runn   4     64M vmh-usnjewr-eqi
00 01:09:54

Opennebula Version = 3.0.0 compiled from source
Installation Type = Self contained in /srv/cloud/one
Hypervisor = KVM
Control Server OS: Ubuntu 11.04 LTS
KVM Host OS: Ubuntu 11.10 LTS
Storage = Non Shared File System

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Errol