[one-users] A question about the utilization of VMs

Adnan Pasic pqado at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 23 01:52:41 PST 2011

Hello guys,
I have a
problem with understand one specific behaviour and I hope that this community
might help me with it.
Anyway, I
am writing my diploma thesis using OpenNebula and so far it has done everything
I imagined and wanted it to do. I deploy VMs and utilize every one of them with
the tool “lookbusy”. On normal physical hosts, lookbusy works perfectly,
utilizing the CPU/Memory as I set it and doesn’t stop the utilization until the
whole process is killed.
When I
utilize my VM, however, I noticed the VMs being utilized for approx. 2 minutes,
but afterwards I can see a falling trend of utilized memory on the physical
host. For instance, I utilize the memory of the VM by 2 GB – thus, the physical
host shows the same utilization too. Nevertheless, after 2 minutes, the
utilization on the physical host starts decreasing and stops at about 500MB of
utilized memory, although the VM shows the whole time a full utilization of 2GB
!
Do you know
what could be the reason? Maybe it has something to do with the scheduler, or I
don’t know?
Please help
me with this, as this is a crucial part of my diploma thesis and I got stuck!!!

Thanks in
advance.
Regards,
Adnan