[one-users] use of IMAGE_ID and its ilk in 3.0

Thomas Higdon thigdon at akamai.com
Tue Nov 1 10:12:14 PDT 2011

In 2.2, in a VM template, I could specify an image for a disk that was
in the image repository by using IMAGE = <name>. This behavior appears
to have been removed in 3.0, in favor of using IMAGE_ID = <id>, where
<id> is an arbitrary number assigned by the opennebula system.

This change in behavior seems kind of limiting. Before, I could create
an image with a certain name, and then instantiate a VM template that
had a disk that used that name. Now, in order to get that same behavior,
I must instantiate the image, note the ID returned, and then rewrite my
VM template to use that ID in its DISK attribute, then instantiate it.
This is also true of virtual networks.

Is there something I'm missing with respect to how VM templates are
instantiated with respect to images? Is there any workaround that will
allow the old behavior? Why was this change made?