[one-users] Restarting a vm instance after shutdown?

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Mon May 30 03:09:41 PDT 2011

Hi Lars,

We think the model you are describing will be easily achieved in the
upcoming 3.0 [1] release.
The approach we are taking to implement persistent VM is making the VM
Template the main VM entity, as you pointed out.

With the new VM Template pool, you will be able to:

(a) A vm instance would start with its own copy of a disk image.

A new 'oneimage clone' command will provide a personal private copy of
another Image. Then, a VM Template using that Image can be registered using
'onetemplate create my_vm.one'

> (b) Shutdown would not delete the image.

The data won't be lost if the Image is persistent. Which I think is a
reasonable default for an Image created from 'oneimage clone'.

> (c) Some command (restart, or resubmit, or something) would allow one
> to restore a vm instance that had been shut down.

A VM instance will finish it's life-cycle after shutdown, this won't change.
But the VM Template will be still available in the pool, and can be
instantiated many more times.

> (d) Disk data would only be discarded with an explicit "delete".

There will a explicit delete for the disks (oneimage delete), and for the VM
Template (onetemplate delete).

Best regards,
Carlos.

[1] http://blog.opennebula.org/?p=1626