[one-users] shutting down VM vs stopping it

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Mon May 9 05:58:00 PDT 2011

Hi Nikolay,

The life-cycle diagram [1] is the best way to understand the VM states, and
what actions are available for each of them.

If you shut down a VM, it will enter the final DONE state, from which no
action can be performed.
A stopped VM on the other hand can be later resumed, using 'onevm resume'.

Internally, the difference is that shutting down the VM it has a chance to
perform any operations (like unregister from a service). A stopped VM is
suspended (paused).

[1]
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:vm_guide#virtual_machine_life-cycle

Regards