[one-users] Multiple OpenNebula Servers

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Tue May 3 14:20:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

It is not a good idea, the oned/sched daemons assumes exclusive use of the
cluster nodes (a.k.a hypervisors). As pointed by Lars you may end with
overcommited memory/CPU.

My proposal here would be to use clusters. Define a couple of cluster (e.g.
demos, production, develop) and assign hypervisor (onecluster command) to
them as you need.

Then VMs will be placed in the corresponding cluster using
REQUIREMENTS="CLUSTER=demo" for example. This requires users to  assume that
model and place the REQUIREMENTS string in the VM templates.

There is no straight forward solution for networks as discussed in a
separate thread.

Next release, will include groups + ACLs + VM template pool that will help
you to easily implement these use cases...

Cheers

Ruben

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman
<lars at seas.harvard.edu>wrote:

> > Does anyone have any experience with this type of configuration or is it
> > even possible with OpenNebula?
>
> We were just discussing this model for our use earlier today as a way
> of working around the lack of a granular authorization model.  Our use
> case is that we want to have some networks only available to our IT
> staff, while making other networks available for course and research
> use.  At first glance, there's nothing to stop you from deploying
> multiple OpenNebula servers pointing at the same backend hosts, but
> you're going to find it difficult to control resource (primarily CPU
> and memory) utilization since the two instances won't be aware of each
> other.  In theory you could adjust for this by limiting the total
> resources available to each server, but I'm not sure off the top of my
> head if this is actually possible.
>
> We may ultimately go with shared accounts (e.g., everyone in IT
> authenticates as the "IT" user, and everyone in CS50 authenticates as
> the "CS50" user) -- unless the forthcoming release addresses some of
> these issues.
>
> --
> Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>
> Senior Technologist
> Harvard University SEAS
> Academic and Research Computing (ARC)

Dr. Ruben Santiago Montero
Associate Professor (Profesor Titular), Complutense University of Madrid