[one-users] Can't boot with Windows XP image

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Thu May 5 14:41:35 PDT 2011

Hi,

apparently the virtual hardware that libvirt generates doesn't match the one
created with:
qemu -m 512 -hda centos5.5.img -cdrom centos.iso -boot d
therefore windows detects a hardware change and it won't boot.

I suggest using a different technique, use a template similar to this one:

------------------8<--------------
[...]
OS = [
    BOOT = "cdrom",
    ARCH = "x86_64"
]

DISK = [
    source = "/path/to/windows.iso",
    type    = "cdrom",
    target  = "hdc"
]

DISK = [ TYPE   = block,
         SIZE   = 10240,
         SAVE   = yes,
         TARGET = sda ]

GRAPHICS = [
    TYPE    = "vnc",
    LISTEN  = "0.0.0.0",
    PORT    = "5900"
]

[...]
------------------>8--------------

Once the VM is running you can install the OS with VNC. After that you will
be able to run the image.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Jaime

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Hoang Dinh Phuc <hdphuc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My LAB is total 3 physical server
>
>    - OpenNebula version 2.2 (CentOS 5.5)
>    - KVM host ( Ubuntu Server 10.10)
>    - VMWARE ESX4.0
>
> In KVM host, i've installed 2 images: centos5.5.img and winxp.img by the
> following command:
>
>    - cd /srv/cloud/images (Repository images of OpenNebula)
>    - qemu-img create -f raw centos5.5.img 4G
>    - qemu -m 512 -hda centos5.5.img -cdrom centos.iso -boot d
>    - (the same with windows xp)
>
> After finish installation, i made 2 vm template:
> vm_centos.one
> NAME   = centos_raw.img
> CPU    = 0.3
> MEMORY = 512
>
> DISK   = [
>   source   = "/srv/cloud/images/centos_raw.img",
>   type  = disk,
>   target   = "hda",
>   bus = ide,
>   driver = raw,
>   readonly = "no" ]
>
> NIC    = [ NETWORK = "DMZ LAN" ]
>
> FEATURES=[ acpi="no" ]
>
> GRAPHICS = [
>   type = "vnc",
>   listen = "127.0.0.1",
>   port = "5917"]
>
> vm_winxp.oneNAME   = winxp_raw.img
> CPU    = 0.3
> MEMORY = 512
>
> DISK   = [
>   source   = "/srv/cloud/images/winxp_raw.img",
>   type  = disk,
>   target   = "hda",
>   bus = ide,
>   driver = raw,
>   readonly = "no" ]
>
> NIC    = [ NETWORK = "DMZ LAN" ]
>
> FEATURES=[ acpi="no" ]
>
> GRAPHICS = [
>   type = "vnc",
>   listen = "127.0.0.1",
>   port = "5916"]
>
> Then, I deploy 2 images to OpenNebula.
> The centos VM is running and booting sucessfully.
> Thhe windowsXP is running but it can't boot. It make an error:
> "We apologize for the convenience, but the Windows can not start
> sucessfully. A recent hardware or software chage has caused this....."
>
> Please show me the solution
>
> Thanks

Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
Major Contributor
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org