[one-users] Problems using OpenNebula EC2 interface

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Tue May 3 12:48:26 PDT 2011

After successfully getting the OCCI clients working with OpenNebula,
I've tried getting the EC2 interface to work and I've run into a
variety of problems.

(1) The OpenNebula tools don't respect the path in EC2_URL.

    If EC2_URL is set to something like "http://myserver/ec2/", the
OpenNebula EC2 clients (such as econe-describe-images) attempt to
communicate with "/" instead of "/ec2/" on the server, causing them to
fail unilaterally.  We've got econe-server at "/ec2/" because
occi-server is available at "/occi/".

(2) Authentication is failing.

    We've tried using eucatools, and while it's talking to the correct
URL, we're always getting a "User not authorized" response.  Nothing
particularly useful is showing up in the logs, and we've had no
problems accessing the OCCI interface using the same username and
password.

(3) It's unclear how to use Amazon's own CLI tools.

    Amazon's tools appear to want an access key and x509 certificate.
I'm not sure how to get them to authenticate with an access key and
secret key the way the OpenNebula and Ecuatools clients work.

Before I open bug reports on these, I wanted to check in here and see
if I'm missing anything obvious.  If it matters, we're running 2.2 on
CentOS 5.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>
Senior Technologist