[one-users] Ranged network!

Ahmad Hammad ahmad.hammad at kit.edu
Mon May 2 05:26:10 PDT 2011

Hello Ruben,

Thank you all for the help and feedback.

> Please also note that is very common to put the gateway in a VM also as
> part of the network. You can request an specific IP for the gateway VM in
> the template (NIC=[ NETWORK_ID = 3, IP = 192.168.0.1])
>
> Probably, we should make more clear the documentation to remark that you
> are defining the range using a network address and not a starting host ip
> address. The rationale behind this is that in this way you can easily
> setup the network address and mask for the VMs.

Yes! now we could make it work but the documentation could be made more
explicit, in particular the fact that you add 2 to NETWORK_SIZE to determine
the netmask. (see "RangedLeases::RangedLeases(...)")

> To improve this, we can extend the parameters to define the ranged network,
> e.g. with the starting ip address parameter. Or alternatively, define a
> fixed net using single leases and/or continuous ranges of leases. Which
> one is better?

Yes, that would be great. In particular the concrete proposal by Lars would be
perfect for us.

>Thanks for sharing!,... I've filled a ticket to track and implement this
>
>http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/602

Thanks,

Ahmad&Ariel