[one-users] Sunstone: how detach cdrom ?

Héctor Sanjuán hsanjuan at opennebula.org
Tue Mar 29 04:35:11 PDT 2011

El 29/03/11 12:45, ignazio.cassano at provincia.torino.it escribió:
> Hello, I create and installed a virtual machine using sunstone (using an
> empty hd image and a iso cdrom image).
> After installation the vm must boot from hd rather than cdrom but using
> sunstone I cannot detach the cdrom or tell kvm to start vm from hd.
> Regards
> Ignazio

Hello,

It is not possible to do changes on the VM templates after the VMs are
created (this is an OpenNebula thing, not Sunstone exclusively). In
order to start your VM from the HD you should create another VM the
desired boot settings.

One possibility to do it easily is to 1) register the hd image marking
it as "persistent", 2) Create a VM with hd and cdroom, boot it from
cdrom, install, 3) shutdown the VM and 4) and create a new VM with the
hd image as hd and set boot to 'hd'.

As the image is persistent the changes made to it by the first VM will
be saved. Note that only 1 VM can use a persistent image at a time.

Another method would be using 'onevm saveas' command from the cli to
save the modified hd image. Saveas creates a new image that can be used
later:

onevm saveas <vm_id> <disk_id> <image_name>

saveas is not yet supported in sunstone but I've added a feature so we
get there for the next release:

http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/549

--
Héctor Sanjuan