[one-users] command to deploy VM on remote host

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 02:47:39 PDT 2011

You have more information on vmm driver scripts in the development
documentation [1].

For OpenVZ I recommend you to use some nice scripting language (let it
be ruby, python, perl...), set the deployment type to xml and parse
all the needed information from the xml that comes from stdin. After
that you can write the deployment file for openvz to the path provided
and use it to start the "VM". If creating an openvz instance only
requires parameters instead of a description file it would be nice to
write in the deployment file those parameters, it will make it easier
to debug any problem.

Another tip is to set ONE_MAD_DEBUG=1 in etc/defaultrc while
developing so you get log files from the drivers.

Good luck

[1] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:devel-vmm

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM,  <knawnd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Héctor,
>
> thanks for explanation!
> Is there any docs describing the whole chain of ONE's actions starting from
> executing 'onevm create <VM_template_file>' or maybe someone could describe
> it for me.
> I am trying to understand ONE behavior to adapt it for OpenVZ support.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Nikolay.
>
> Héctor Sanjuán wrote on 25/03/11 16:07:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I believe it is:
>>
>> deploy<path_to_deployment_file>
>>
>> OpenNebula passes the contents for that deployment file using STDIN. The
>> deploy script then creates the deployment file in the desired path and
>> writes the STDIN contents into it:
>>
>> domain=$1
>>
>> mkdir -p `dirname $domain`
>> cat>  $domain
>>
>> Hope it solves your question,
>>
>> Héctor
>>
>> El 25/03/11 13:54, knawnd at gmail.com escribió:
>>>
>>> Hi Carlos,
>>>
>>> Sorry I wasn't clear enough asking a question in my previous email in
>>> that thread. I meant what arguments I need to pass during e.g. the
>>> following invocation on remote host:
>>> [remote_host]$ $SCRIPTS_REMOTE_DIR/vmm/xen/deploy<some arguments>
>>> if I'd like to deploy xen VM
>>> It looks for me as the script e.g. deploy is invoked as
>>> [remote_host]$$SCRIPTS_REMOTE_DIR/vmm/xen/deploy xen<path_to_VM_config>
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Nikolay.

Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher