[one-users] About virtual machine backup and restore question

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Tue Mar 22 04:03:45 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 18 March 2011 10:07, liudewei <liudewei at neusoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> About virtual machine backup and restore question,
>
> 1-Through OpenNebula Provides‘ functionality to achieve the virtual machine
> make image template?
>    if it is so,  use one.vm.savedisk of xml-rpc API  implement it?
>

> 2-Ours Big Cloud Eelastic Completing System is need to be achieve virtual
> machine backup and restore function,
> Do you think through OpenNebula can be realize it?or Do you have any good
> way to achieve?

You can use the save_as functionality [1] in order to get a Virtual
Machine backup. If you run the following command
$ onevm saveas <vm_id> <disk_id> <image_name>
the specified Virtual Machine disk will be saved after a shut-down in
the new image (image_name).

On the other hand when you stop a Virtual Machine, a checkpoint is
generated containing the VM state [2]. This checkpoint and the disks
files, that you can find inside the VMDIR [3, 4], are used to restore
the VM keeping its state.

Moreover, we are improving the Image repository functionality, for
upcoming releases, adding new features like snapshotting of running
VMs.

Regards.