[one-users] issue: VM instance can't shut down through "sunstone" command

Héctor Sanjuán hsanjuan at opennebula.org
Wed Mar 9 01:07:51 PST 2011

Hi,

Shutdown is a transitory state indicating that the shutdown script has
started. This script tries to send and shutdown ACPI signal to the VM
and regularly checks if the VM has shut down until the TIMEOUT occurs
(defined in the shutdown remotes script as far as i know).

If the VM has not been shutdown after that time, the script will try to
directly "power off" the VM. After that the VM is deleted [1]

Does your VM stay in shutdown state indefinitely? If you are using
ttylinux it might be ignoring the ACPI shutdown signal and therefore it
would take the TIMEOUT to power it off.

The stop state is meant to freeze a vm in running state by saving its
state. Can you ellaborate on how "onevm stop" is failing?

I hope it helps, if not you can send the full VM log and template.

Hector

[1] VM State diagram: http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.0:vm_guide

Héctor Sanjuan
OpenNebula.org