[one-users] AUTHENTICATION PROBLEM when using EC2 Tools

Olivier Sallou olivier.sallou at irisa.fr
Tue Mar 1 05:56:03 PST 2011

Hi,
I face an issue with econe-describe-images and EC2 tools access. I have an authentication error.

Following a previous mail I 've seen (see below), I updated encoding to HmacSHA256 and EC2QueryServer.rb not to include port for version 2010-08-31

However I still have the issue.

I tried with econe-describe-instances -K osallou -S XXXX -U http://localhost:4567, still fails

As a client I use ruby gem amazon-ec2.

I check EC2Query ruby codes in repository to see if changes were made but I see no difference.

Thanks

Olivier

Hi! I discovered an AUTHENTICATION PROBLEM when using EC2 Tools
provided by OpenNebula.

On client-side, the HMAC algorithm used is "HmacSHA256" while the
passed parameter is "HmacSHA1" in

   $ONE_LOCATION/lib/ruby/cloud/econe/EC2QueryClient.rb:144

this causes an authentication failure.

I found another problem in the file

   $ONE_LOCATION/lib/ruby/cloud/econe/EC2QueryServer.rb

While the issue disappeared executing the tool

   econe-upload

it is still present in the tools

   econe-register
   econe-describe-images

This may be caused by the file

   $ONE_LOCATION/lib/ruby/cloud/econe/EC2QueryServer.rb

where, in the function "signature_version_2()" definition, the
variable "server_str" depends on the tool executed.

1. econe-upload

    server_str = FQDN

2. econe-register

    server_str = FQDN:PORT

I think the issue is caused by the missing parameter "Version" which
is not passed in last two utilities.

Best,

    PAOLO

-- PAOLO SMIRAGLIA http://portale.isf.polito.it/paolo-smiraglia
Users at lists.opennebula.org

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (pgp.mit.edu)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438