[one-users] Long Running Servers

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Wed Jun 29 06:29:30 PDT 2011

Hi Richard,

The template you propose looks fine, but let me make a couple of comments.

Instead of 'source' and 'save' for DISC, you should use the Image
repository, and take advantage of the persistent flag [1] to make sure the
contents are saved.
This way you can forget about the 'save', 'clone' and 'readonly' attributes.

And just in case, when you say "to ensure it keeps its state between
restarts", keep in mind that a onevm shutdown command will save the disk,
but not the VM state (RAM).
If that's what you need, take a look at the suspend and cancel commands [2].

Please also note that onevm restart will not start over the life cycle of a
VM, it is a way to resubmit the booting command to the hypervisor in cases
when the VM gets stuck in the BOOT state.
To continue the execution of a VM you previously shut down, you have to
create a new VM instance from the same template file.

Best regards,
Carlos.

[1]
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:img_guide#making_images_persistent