[one-users] live-/migration not working, uknown error

Adnan Pasic pqado at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 7 10:57:21 PDT 2011

Hey everyone,
sorry for spamming, but I thought it might be a good idea to share with you how I found out how to fix this issue!!! It was quite tedious actually.

After reviewing the logging documents, I set the following environment variables

export LIBVIRT_DEBUG=4
export LIBVIRT_LOG_OUTPUTS="1:file:/var/log/virsh.log"

Once that was set, I ran the following to monitor the log file: tail -f /var/log/virsh.log

When I ran the live migration this time around, this was the output I received on that error

23:35:47.102: error : server_error:7231 : operation failed: migrate failed: migrate "tcp:scott:49154"
migration failed

As you can see from this, it was trying to live migrate using the hostname "scott" instead of the actual IP once it established the session on both ends using ssh. To fix this, I simply modified the /etc/hosts file and included scott to resolve to the remote system and voila, it worked like a charm and quickly.

Hope this is helpful to anyone getting random UNKNOWN ERROR messages, and thanks to the mailing list for helping so selflessly every time!
Keep up the good work!

Regards, Adnan