[one-users] NFS performance tuning

Peter Farič peter.faric at ledinek.com
Fri Jun 3 04:39:00 PDT 2011

Hi!

I have the following test setup:

1 x ONE server with two Gbit ethernet cards (one for public and one for
VM VLAN). /srv/cloud is mounted on an RAID10 md array with 4 SATA2
disks. OS: RHEL6.0

2 x KVM node servers with two Gbit ethernet cards each (one for public
and one for VM VLAN). OS: RHEL 6.0

As the NFS performance is not satisfactory for any VMs that have a lot
of IO (MySQL, ...), I was wondering if you have any ideas how to boost
NFS performance? In my case the VMs IOwait was most of the time in the
70 - 90% with 2 - 6 MBytes write transfer rates.

At the moment the NFS clients mount the share with "noatime,nodiratime"
options in fstab. I wouldn't want to enable "async" since its not "safe".

How do you tune your NFS mount so the performance becomes acceptable in
medium to high IO environments?

Thanks!

--

LP,