[one-users] [OT] xen to kvm images

samuel samu60 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:41:15 PDT 2011

Hi folks,

I'm struggling with a few issues converting xen to kvm images. I know this
might not be the right mailing list to ask but I'm sure there's someone that
can point me to the right mailing list or documentation. So, first of all,
apologies fot the Off-Topic post.

In my lab environment I have KVM-only nodes and I'm interested in porting
Xen images. I've created Xen images either with dd inside the virtual Xen
machine or just taking the xen disk file. In both cases, doing and fdisk of
the resulting image I got:
*
Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by
w(rite)
You must set cylinders.
You can do this from the extra functions menu.*

I've tried 2 methods:
1)just press w(rite) in fdisk which would insert a valid flag number
2) using sfidk to add a manual flag number (echo '1' | sfdisk image.img)

No matter what I use, the resulting file disk seems to not work and the
partition table seems broken. I've tried to continue installing grub and a
working kernel in the resulting image.img so they can be boot from KVM but I
always got No Boot Device available.

Can anyone tell what shall be done with a Xen disc image to be ported to a
KVM environment?

Thank you very much in advance,
Samuel Osorio.