[one-users] Does Opennebula 2.0.1 support disaster recovery?

Manikanta Kattamuri mani.kattamuri at hexagrid.com
Thu Feb 17 19:52:59 PST 2011

we have tried some poc's to achieve this sometime back

2011/2/17 Tino Vazquez <tinova at opennebula.org>

> Hi YE Lei,
>
> The first issue that I see here is the migration, since it is
> impossible to migrate a VM from a host that is down.
>
> What is possible is the reestablishment of the service in placeB,
> where the VM images should be previously placed (to avoid transferring
> them, although this is possible as well), so only the VM state (in the
> form of snapshots of memory, and deltas of what has changed in the
> disk images since the VM was up) needs to be transferred. This
> snapshots should reside in a shared filesystem (to avoid losing access
> when the host is down), or synced in placeB using DRDB for instance.

since place A and place B are quiet distant and we did not want to share the
same file system, we used rsync to keep the disks in check. if the file
system is a failure at place A then the latest image would used at placeB
else the images are synced before starting.

OpenNebula at place A can detect that the hosts are down and start the
> reestablishment of the service talking with the OpenNebula at place B.
> This setup can be achieved with some minor adjustments to the
> out-of-the-box OpenNebula.
>
> Can you give any pointers on this, as i have achieved it using a script
above oned to detect failures and request place B to start the vm's after
syncing with the current vm. I would like to know how oned can be configured
to talk to placeB ( i suspect you are talking about hooks?).

> For extra protection, the OpenNebula at placeA could be running two
> instances in different servers, to avoid the fail in the disaster
> recovery in case the OpenNebula front-end goes down.
>
> isn't this being discussed in another thread about oned redundancy?. which
is presently not present in one.

This is an interesting use case, we will be happy to provide
> assistance in the setup of this scenario.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Tino
>
> --
> Constantino Vázquez Blanco, MSc
> OpenNebula Major Contributor  / Cloud Researcher
> www.OpenNebula.org | @tinova79
>

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM, YE LEI <Lei.Ye at alcatel-sbell.com.cn>
> wrote:
> > For example, we have a product (in VM) running in the servers on placeA,
> > and in case disaster happens on placeA, all servers on placeA are
> > damaged, could opennebula migrate this product to the severs on
> > placeB(thousands miles away from placeA) which are managed by opennebula
> > in the cloud?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > YE Lei

K Manikanta Swamy