[one-users] Load balancing hosts

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Tue Feb 8 02:27:54 PST 2011

Dear Steffen,

comments inline,

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Steffen Neumann <sneumann at ipb-halle.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about the scheduling in ONE:
>
> 1) Is there a way to migrate VMs off a host
>   to another free host ? I know I can manually
>   onevm migrate 56 13, but I had somehow expected
>   that onehost 12 disable would clean out that host.

If you perform the host disable operation using the onehost command,
it will check that the host is clean (and refuse to disable it if is
not), but it won't automatically do the clearing

> 2) Is there a way to migrate VMs between hosts
>   when load gets to high ? The VMs could become busy
>   and saturate their host, or a few new hosts became available.
>   Is live-migration a requirement for this ?

You can use the default OpenNebula scheduler to achieve an evenly
distribution of resources (see the load-aware policy in [1]). You
won't get automatic migration out-of-the-box, possibles solutions are:

  * Extend the scheduler to implement a new migration policy
  * Develop a script to monitor and eventually perform the migration

> I am fine with pointers into the fine manual,
> if the information is there it evaded me.
>
> Yours,
> Steffen
>
> --
> IPB Halle                    AG Massenspektrometrie & Bioinformatik
> Dr. Steffen Neumann          http://www.IPB-Halle.DE
> Weinberg 3                   http://msbi.bic-gh.de
> 06120 Halle                  Tel. +49 (0) 345 5582 - 1470
>                                  +49 (0) 345 5582 - 0
> sneumann(at)IPB-Halle.DE     Fax. +49 (0) 345 5582 - 1409

-Tino

[1] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.0:schg

--
Constantino Vázquez Blanco | dsa-research.org/tinova
Virtualization Technology Engineer / Researcher