[one-users] Questions about VMs states

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Mon Feb 14 07:47:59 PST 2011

Hi,

comments inline,

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Aline Bousquet
<aline.bousquet at ensi-bourges.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some questions on the successive states a VM goes through in its
> life-cycle.
>
> I noticed that whenever I suspend a VM, it goes in save state then in
> suspended state. Can you describe a little bit what happens to the VM when
> it is in these modes? What are the differences between them?

When in SAVE, the VMs memory is being dumped into a file for later resume.

When SUSPENDED, the VM is paused, no activity is being carried out by
it and OpenNebula is doing nothing with the VM until it is resumed.

> I'm wondering if there are some security concerns when a VM is being
> suspended while another one (attacking) VM is booting? Could there be a
> possibility for the attacking VM to access the others ones resources?

This depends on the infrastructure configuration, like for instance
the use of ebtables. In short, is not a question with a trivial
answer.

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Aline

-Tino

--
Constantino Vázquez Blanco | dsa-research.org/tinova
Virtualization Technology Engineer / Researcher