[one-users] Recommended usage patterns

Chris Picton chris at ecntelecoms.com
Thu Dec 29 23:52:24 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 15:21 +0100, richard -rw- weinberger wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Chris Picton <chris at ecntelecoms.com> wrote:
> > 1. Create a machine which will be long-lived, setting the hostname and
> > specific parameters of this VM. Machines of this sort will probably
> > last the lifetime of the opennebula installation.
>
> OpenNebula manages only them.
> If you don't need OpenNebula in future you can still manage your VMs
> using virsh.
>
> > 2. Edit an existing vm: Add more memory. Attach a new disk or disks.
> > Create a new network adapter in the VM.
>
> Delete the VM, edit the template and start it again.
> Sadly there is currently no way to do this while the VM is running. :(

Ok - so for this type of VM, I should:
      * Keep my vm definition templates in a known location
      * Use persistent disks for them.
      * Hardcode the MAC and VLAN/etc in the files
      * If I need to make a change, I would shutdown the machine, edit
        the file and create a new VM, bypassing the opennebula template
        files.

> > 3. Create a cluster of machines which should start and stop in a
> > particular order, but run together.
>
> Needs some scripting, but is definitely doable.
I just found OpenNebula Service Manager:
http://opennebula.org/software:ecosystem:oneservice which seems to do
exactly what I need

Thanks for the help

Chris