[one-users] Removing old VMs

Hutson Betts hut101 at tamu.edu
Tue Dec 20 20:09:17 PST 2011

I needed to forward this to the listserv.

Also, on the same note, I discovered another odd behavior:

Several VMs have been deleted, their state is DONE, and I manually
removed their folders. However, when I issue a 'show' command to view
information for VMs that have transitioned to the DONE state, a folder
is created for them. What's odd about this behavior, is that it only
occurs the first time I issue the 'show' command. Issuing that command a
second time does not re-create the folder.

oneadmin at opennebula-server:~$ ls
auth  config  images  oneacct.db  one.db  onequota.db  remotes
oneadmin at opennebula-server:~$ onevm show 4
VIRTUAL MACHINE 4
INFORMATION
ID                  : 4
NAME                : vm-example
USER                : oneadmin
GROUP               : oneadmin
STATE               : DONE
LCM_STATE           : LCM_INIT
START TIME          : 12/14 14:05:47
END TIME            : 12/14 15:39:16
DEPLOY ID           :

VIRTUAL MACHINE
MONITORING
NET_TX              : 0
NET_RX              : 0
USED MEMORY         : 0
USED CPU            : 0

VIRTUAL MACHINE
TEMPLATE
VMID=4
oneadmin at opennebula-server:~$ ls
4  auth  config  images  oneacct.db  one.db  onequota.db  remotes
oneadmin at opennebula-server:~$ rm -r 4
[...]

This makes the clean-up scripts potentially worthless since VMs within
the database can cause changes to content within the file system, and no
hook can resolve that.

For my network policy, a simple clean-up hook is sufficient to remove
files and folders that will no longer be needed. However, in the future,
some method to purge even the database would be nice. Maybe:
'onevm purge-done' (Or something...)

--
Hutson Betts
Computer Science and Engineering