[one-users] application integration (service publishing) in OpenNebula?

Simon Boulet simon at nostalgeek.com
Thu Dec 15 08:45:23 PST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-12-15, at 5:05 AM, Daniel.MOLDOVAN at cs.utcluj.ro wrote:

> The idea of a "private cloud" is to hide the physical
> location of the virtual machines (on what computer does each reside)
> and hide the fact that the VM is not a physical machine.

Not at all, please allow me to rectify what is a private cloud.

A private cloud is a set of infrastructure (machines) that are dedicated to a single entity/  company/ client. The host machines, storage, etc. are not shared. For example you may need a private cloud for privacy or reasons, to meet security standards, or for storing sensitive information. If you're building a cloud internally that will serve exclusively for your company needs, you're building a private cloud (wether it's publicly accessible/ connected to the Internet or not).

If you're a service provider and want to offer Private clouds to your clients, you can use OpenNebula VDC to isolate resources and build private clouds (although in that scenario, OpenNebula itself would be shared, and a security breach in OpenNebula could potentially expose your private clouds) :  http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.0:vdcmngt

The NIST has published an interesting document that tries to highlight and demystify what cloud computing is: http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-145/SP800-145.pdf

Simon