[one-users] VMs instantiated from template have incorrect name?

Graeme Gillies graeme.r.gillies at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 21:37:30 PST 2011

Hi,

I currently have a vm template in onetemplate that looks like the following

TEMPLATE 0 INFORMATION
ID             : 0
NAME           : gg-devel
USER           : ggillies
GROUP          : users
REGISTER TIME  : 12/02 14:43:50
PUBLIC         : No

TEMPLATE CONTENTS
CPU=1
DISK=[
  BUS=virtio,
  DRIVER=raw,
  IMAGE_ID=4,
  TARGET=vda,
  TYPE=DISK ]
DISK=[
  BUS=virtio,
  SIZE=1024,
  TARGET=vdb,
  TYPE=SWAP ]
GRAPHICS=[
  LISTEN=0.0.0.0,
  TYPE=vnc ]
MEMORY=512
NAME=gg-devel
NIC=[
  NETWORK_ID=0 ]
OS=[
  ARCH=x86_64,
  BOOT=hd ]
TEMPLATE_ID=0

You can see in the template the name of the vm is "gg-devel".

However, when I use

onetemplate instantiate 0

And look at the running vm the name is just the generic "one-XX"

    ID USER     GROUP    NAME         STAT CPU     MEM        HOSTNAME
       TIME
    43 ggillies users    one-43       runn  15    512M virt-02-cloud.l
00 00:03:25

Is this a bug or intended? I'd like to be able to add vm templates
into the library and when they are instantiated have the correct name
from the template. I understand that people might be able to
instantiate multiple instances of a template, but in that cause,
shouldn't every instance after the first have a number appended? In my
use case, the disk images are marked as persistent so people won't be
able to instantiate more than 1 instance at a time.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Graeme