[one-users] Not able to access running Ubuntu vm

Amit Soni get.amitsoni at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 07:13:36 PDT 2011

Hello,

I was finally able to run my ubuntu image using one.

Thanks to Jaime, I was installing the ubuntu-10.10-64bit-server iso
through opennebula by modifying the template file. I got the error
that the kernel is 64 bit but the architecture is i686. As mentioned
in the documentation
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:template we have to
explicitly specify the architecture by adding OS = [ ARCH = x86_64 ]
if the kernel we are trying to boot is not 32 bits which I was not
doing for my previous images also.

That's when I stopped the installation without completing and tried OS
= [ ARCH = x86_64 ]  for my previously made images. Now they work like
a charm.

So, it's not necessary to install the ubuntu image using opennebula
(although it is easy to install that way). We can run pre-installed
(installed using qemu command) in opennebula, we just need the right
template file. In my case the final template file that I used was:

NAME   = ubuntu
CPU    = 1
MEMORY = 400

DISK   = [
  source   = "/path/to/ubuntu-1010-server-64bits.img",
  target   = "sda",
  readonly = "no",
  DRIVER=qcow2
]

OS = [ ARCH = x86_64]

NIC    = [ NETWORK = "VM_LAN" ]

FEATURES=[ acpi="no" ]

GRAPHICS = [type="vnc", listen="0.0.0.0", port="5949"]

BR,
Amit