[one-users] Does anyone have run Ubuntu instance in OpenNebula successfully ?

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Tue Apr 19 02:45:00 PDT 2011

Hello,

Indeed the classic approach of installing manually an Ubuntu 10.04 VM under
KVM and launching it with OpenNebula is a bit tricky since it has problems
booting up. We have used and alternative method to prepare VMs which works
perfectly with Ubuntu 10.04:

- Create an OpenNebula template with 2 DISKs:
<<<<
DISK = [
    source = "/path/to/ubuntu-10.04.2-server-amd64.iso",
    type    = "cdrom",
    target  = "hdc"
]

DISK = [ TYPE   = fs,
         SIZE   = 10240,
         FORMAT = ext3,
         SAVE   = yes,
         TARGET = sda ]

- Define the VNC attribute, and OS = [BOOT = "cdrom" ]
- Launch the VM with OpenNebula
- Connect to the running VM with VNC and install Ubuntu. (It comes in really
handy here to have a DHCP server for the installation).
- Manually partition: a single partition mounted on / without swap.
- Install OpenSSH server during installation
- Before shutting down the VM, execute "onevm saveas <VM_ID> <DISK_ID>
<new_image_name>" DISK_ID should be '0'.

The saved image should now boot without further trouble.

Regarding Contextualization:
- for net-contexutalization: a very easy and straight-forward way to
contextualize is to disable automatic configuration of eth0 in
/etc/network/interfaces and adding this [1] script to /etc/rc.local
- don't forget to install acpid package
- follow OpenNebula's guide on contextualization for full contextualization
[2]

We are preparing a blog post explaining this more thoroughly and we will
link to a contextualized Ubuntu 10.04 prepared by us. It should be ready by
next week.

[1] http://pastebin.com/hL3Z23kH
[2] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:cong

Regards,
Jaime

2011/4/18 Idafen Santana Pérez <idafensp at gmail.com>

> Hi Jeff, did you solve your problem? I'm stuck at the same point.
>
> Regards
> Idafen
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:52 AM, Jeff <jafelee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Thanks you very much ,Carsten. You guys are so kind! I will give it a
>> try.
>> Best Regards,
>> Jeff
>>

>> On 4/4/2011 10:43 AM, Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au wrote:
>>
>>  Try enabling the VNC option. This might give you some indication about
>> what went wrong. Ssh or ping will only work if the VM successfully booted
>> and successfully configured the network. VNC is available from the very
>> start of the boot process.
>>

>> If this fails, I can give you a Ubuntu 10.4 image and template that works
>> here. It requires KVM as hypervisor and an existing DHCP server to obtain an
>> IP address.
>>

>> Carsten
>>

>> [image: cid:387141907 at 30042010-37FB] <http://www.csiro.au/>
>>
>> Carsten Friedrich
>>
>> Research Team leader
>>
>> ICT Centre, GPO Box 664,Canberra, ACT 2601
>>
>> Phone: +61 2 6216 7019
>>
>> Email: Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au
>>
>> Web:   http://www.csiro.au/org/ICT.html

Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
Major Contributor
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org