[one-users] Not able to access running Ubuntu vm

Amit Soni get.amitsoni at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 03:52:36 PDT 2011

Hello,

I made this img file using the following commands:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 vdisk.img 10G
qemu-system-x86_64 -hda vdisk.img -cdrom /path/to/ubuntu-server.iso
-boot d  -m 384
mv vdisk.img ubuntu-1010-server-network-init.img

So, I am pretty sure it's qcow2 format.

Also, I tried to convert the img file to the raw format using the
following command but still I got the same blank screen:

qemu-img convert -O raw ubuntu-1010-server-network-init.img
ubuntu-1010-server-network-init.raw

So I am still not able to run ubuntu VM in opennebula. I would be
great if there are some sort of standard contextualized images of
standard linux distros available for usage.

Amit

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Olivier Sallou <olivier.sallou at irisa.fr> wrote:
> your source file is
>
> ubuntu-1010-server-network-init.img
>
> with img extension are you sure it is a qcow2?
>
> Olivier
> Le 4/15/11 12:13 PM, Amit Soni a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> There is some interesting progress. I was able to connect to the vnc
>> session of the machine. I found the following output:
>>
>> Booting from Hard Disk ...
>> Boot failed: not a bootable disk
>>
>> No bootable device.
>>
>> Apparently, the format of the IMG file is qcow2 and I didn't mentioned
>> that format in the VM template. Hence, I did the following changes in
>> the VM template as mentioned in the link
>> https://support.opennebula.pro/entries/348847-using-qcow-images:
>>
>> DISK   = [
>>   source   = "/srv/cloud/images/ubuntu/ubuntu-1010-server-network-init.img",
>>   target   = "hda",
>>   readonly = "no",
>>   DRIVER=qcow2
>> ]
>>
>> However, now when I access the VM from the vnc session I see blank
>> screen (not a single character on the screen). The VM is still in the
>> "runn" state.
>> Now I am really confused what could have went wrong.
>>
>> --Amit
>>

>> 2011/4/14 Amit Soni <get.amitsoni at gmail.com>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was trying the same thing using following parameters in the template file:
>>>
>>> RAW = [ type = "kvm",
>>>              data = "<devices><serial type=\"pty\"><source
>>> path=\"/dev/pts/5\"/><target port=\"0\"/></serial><console type=\"pty\"
>>> tty=\"/dev/pts/5\"><source path=\"/dev/pts/5\"/><target