[one-users] Not able to access running Ubuntu vm

Amit Soni get.amitsoni at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:03:43 PDT 2011

Hello,

I was trying the same thing using following parameters in the template file:

RAW = [ type = "kvm",
              data = "<devices><serial type=\"pty\"><source
path=\"/dev/pts/5\"/><target port=\"0\"/></serial><console type=\"pty\"
tty=\"/dev/pts/5\"><source path=\"/dev/pts/5\"/><target
port=\"0\"/></console></devices>" ]

However, when I accessed the machine using the virsh console I got the
following output after which it just froze. I hit "enter" many time
but no response. Although I was able to get out of the console:

virsh # console one-13
Connected to domain one-13
Escape character is ^]

I read somewhere that this can be because I have not enabled the VM to
be accessed from serial console so then I followed the following guide
to make some modification in the VM:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto

However, after making the changes when I boot the VM using the "qemu"
command I just  see the some output like follows:

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
/dev/sda1: clean ... files, ... blocks
 * Starting AppArmor profiles

And that's it. After this there is no response from the VM. However, I
am able to ssh into the VM (since I have started it from qemu
command).

But the important thing is, even after these changes for enabling
serial console in the VM and starting the VM from the opennebula with
the above mentioned RAW parameters, I get the same result. It get the
same output upon accessing the console and after that it just freezes.

Could see any mistake that I might be making.

Thanks & Regards,
Amit