[one-users] Setting up private networks for VM

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Wed Apr 6 08:48:51 PDT 2011

Hi Prakhar,

The scenario you've described is very easily achievable, you only need to
create another private network vnet instance (created with the onevnet
utility) and add two NIC sections per VM, one for the public NIC and one for
the private one.

It has one drawback, though, if you do this you will not be able to use the
ebtables hook for network isolation, therefore someone using one of your VMs
might be able to do MAC spoofing. But other than that it should work
perfectly.

cheers,
Jaime

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Prakhar Srivastava
<prakhar.apj at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> By private networks, I mean the virtual network created by opennebula
> onevnet utility. Consider the scenario where I have 4 VMs running in my
> opennebula cloud setup. All of them has  a public IP (allocated from a
> virtual network created by using onevnet utility) thats accessible from my
> network(LAN) . Its easy enough to access because it falls under the same
> network in which I am. What if I want to attach another interface to the
> VMs, so that I can assign private IPs to them .This is handy if you want to
> have more VMs than the number of public IPs available to you. Hope this
> makes sense.
> My question i do I need to have another physical NIC on all my cluster
> nodes for this.If not, please suggest a solution.
>
> Regards,
> Prakhar
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Prakhar Srivastava <prakhar.apj at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I wanted to set up private networks for VMs in my opennebula setup. Is it
>> necessary to have two physical NICs on the cluster nodes for setting private
>> networks. If yes, is there any alternative to it so that I can use my VMs
>> using their private IPs.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Prakhar

Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
Major Contributor
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org