[one-users] [ExternalEmail] Trying to understand VCPU and CPU parameters in VM template

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Fri Sep 17 03:49:45 PDT 2010

Hi

CPU is the capacity you request. The goal is to implement a user
driven consolidation process. The scheduler and tracks the CPU
allocated by each VM so the total CPU (requested) does not exceed the
available one.

For example you have a host with 1 CPU. This means that opennebula can
put there: one VM with CPU=1 or, two VMs with CPU=0.5 Depending on the
workload of the VM you can guide the consolidation actually made in
the cluster.

Also depending on the hypervisor we try to forced that capacity
allocation. For example in xen, the driver uses the credit scheduler
so a 1 CPU VM actually tends to use 2 times the cpu cyles of a 0.5 CPU
VM.

VCPU is just the number of cores of the VM.

Cheers

Ruben