[one-users] Suggestions sought for private cloud architecture using a central storage server and iSCSI

Andreas Ntaflos daff at pseudoterminal.org
Thu Sep 2 13:40:38 PDT 2010

Hello list,

I am new to OpenNebula and in the process of evaluating and testing it
for use at our main site. We are currently overhauling our
old infrastructure and got some new network hardware and servers. I am
looking for suggestions and input on if and how well our hardware will
suite a private cloud setup and how the architecture should look like.

A bit of info: We have two powerful HP ProLiant DL380 G6 with 36GB RAM
each but little local storage (only about 140GB). These would be the
cluster nodes.

An older but well working DL320 G5 with only 2GB RAM and also little
local storage would be well suited for the front-end server.

We also have a storage server (DL180 G6) with about 2TB capacity using
fast SAS disks. iSCSI would be our preferred SAN protocol.

The question is basically: What's a recommended way to integrate a
central storage server into a new OpenNebula private cloud setup?

Any suggestions are welcome! Looking for experiences, anecdotes and RTFM
pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Andreas
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4