[one-users] OpenNebula 2 RC: Why do image names have to be unique?

Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au
Tue Oct 5 15:49:27 PDT 2010

Hi Carlos,

I see. I still think this will cause frequent pain down the road. At least, please consider using a specific error code for this case as all I currently get is a non-descript DB layer error message.

I'm also unsure about your example, i.e. having to modify templates when deleting and re-creating an image. Since there is no guarantee that the old image with name "Ubuntu" has the same features as the new image I'm not sure old templates should automatically use new images. There isn't even any guarantee that the two images were created by the same users.

My preferred solution would be to use the image ID for all references to an image, including making it a mandatory field in the vm template, if an image is to be used.

Carsten