[one-users] Opennebula + DHCP

SZÉKELYI Szabolcs szekelyi at niif.hu
Sun Nov 28 08:34:18 PST 2010

On 2010. November 27. 18:01:24 Steven Timm wrote:
> I have never used opennebula with a dhcp server but I think you would
> have either have to use the contextualization scripts to pass in
> a modified ifcfg-eth0 that calls for DHCP address, or save a special
> original image that has them already.  Also you would have to configure
> the onevnet so you knew which range of MAC addresses your machines were
> going to have.

Being badly dissatisfied with "contextualization" (there's no ifcfg-eth0 on
Debian-based systems for example, not mentioning non-GNU/Linux OSes), we
solved this problem by implementing DHCP on our virtual networks. On VM
creation, a hook script registers the MAC address and the IP address in the
DHCP server that assigns it to the VM upon DHCP request. This requires the
machine running the DHCP server (or a DHCP relay) to have an interface in the
network used for VMs, but this is usually not a problem as long as you use
802.1q tagged virtual networks. This can be implemented for ebtables-based
vnets as well, but requires a bit tricker setup.

I can provide you with more deatils or even code if interested, but currently
I don't have time to make proper redistributable and configurable packages.

Cheers,
--
cc