[one-users] Making a VM that binds to a single logical volume

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Wed Nov 24 07:43:23 PST 2010

I have a number of virtual machine hosts, each of which
has 10TB of local disk which is not shared with any of the others,
and is divided up into logical volumes with LVM.
I would like to partition each node to have several "compute VM's"
and one "storage VM".  The goal of the storage VM would be to launch
on any given node, grab /dev/HUGEDISKVOLUME, and reformat it as a
disk store for whatever storage system I happen to be using
at the time, i.e. Hadoop, Lustre, dCache, xrootd, etc.

Obviously this *can* be done with virt-install and the utilities of
libvirt outside of OpenNebula. Is there any way to trick OpenNebula
to do the same?

I have two potential use cases:

1) the storage VM launches on any one of a given set of nodes.

2) the storage VM is bound to a single node where a particular persistent
LVM volume lives.

Does anyone have experience doing either of these things?

Steve Timm