[one-users] MySQL backend for OpenNebula

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Thu May 27 03:13:33 PDT 2010

Hi,

There have been several requests to implement an alternative backend
for the OpenNebula DB. This is now a reality in the development trunk.
Also, we have merged a new scheduler that uses the XML-RPC interface
instead of accessing the DB. This will probably solve any locking
issue with Sqlite, and gives you the possibility to place the
scheduler daemon and oned in different servers...

We have prepared a tarball to invite the community to test these new
features and report bugs, so we can get the MySQL support in shape for
the next release.  (see instructions below)

Thank you for your feedback!

The OpenNebula Team

-------------------------------->8------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTALLATION & CONFIGURATION

1.- Download the tarball

wget http://dev.opennebula.org/attachments/download/162/one-1.5-mysql.tar.gz

2.- Uncompress and configure it to use mysql. You should have the
mysql config utility in your path (mysql_config). You will need the
mysql development packages for this (libmysql++-dev)

scons mysql=yes sqlite=no

3.- Install OpenNebula as usual. NOTE: We have changed a bit the DB
schema (data type definitions, not column names) so sqlite and MySQL
can use the same code base.

4.- Configuration. Open $ONE_LOCATION/etc/oned.conf, comment the DB
attribute pointing to sqlite and set it to MYSQL, the DB entry should
look like:

# Sample configuration for MySQL
 DB = [ backend = "mysql",
        server  = "localhost",
        user    = "oneadmin",
        passwd  = "oneadmin",
        db_name = "opennebula" ]

The user & passwd are for the MySQL user for oned. You have to grant
this user permissions to create databases and tables.

5.- Start OpenNebula and use it as usual.