[one-users] OpenNebula demo at Cloud Connect

Keith Hudgins keith at cloudscaling.com
Wed Mar 17 17:01:44 PDT 2010

Hey guys, I was asked to put some info about the ONE demo I did today
at the Cloud Connect conference in Silicon Valley. So here goes:

I've been working on learning the details and implementations of ONE
for the last few weeks. I've got access to some older servers that
don't have PV support, so I had to find a good Xen platform that I
could easily install and deploy. I settled on CentOS 5.4 using the
Gitco repo for Xen 3.4.2 and kernel. I was using an Ubuntu 9.04 VM for
the ONE controller, as it had access to a big NAS that I could use for
my image store via NFS.

So I've build a set of xen/ONE recipes for Chef (http://opscode.com)
configuration management so I can install and deploy all of the moving
parts in short order and manage the main hosts under Chef. I put
together a little slideshow (which I'll have up on my blog soon) and
didn't really use it since I had about 20 minutes to deploy a cloud in
front of a group of about 100 people,  among whom are some of the
biggest thought leaders in the cloud industry. It worked! From two
CentOS 5.4 base boxes and the Ubuntu controller VM, we installed Xen,
ONE, and got the nfs share and user created to deploy a VM with a nice
Happy St. Patrick's Day message for the audience, including live
migration between the VM hosts.

I've been doing all of this for my employer, Cloudscaling, and we'll
be releasing the chef recipes soon, when I've had some time to clean
them up and make them generic enough for public use.

I'm getting good response on Twitter about the demo, so I feel it's
been fairly successful. I'll keep everyone posted on the news of the
cookbooks.