[one-users] Installed and almost working

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Wed Jan 27 04:20:45 PST 2010

Hi Ettore,

This functionality is still not present in OpenNebula, but I've opened
a ticket [1] since it is a very interesting feature to have.

Regards,

-Tino

[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/189

--
Constantino Vázquez, Grid & Virtualization Technology
Engineer/Researcher: http://www.dsa-research.org/tinova

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Ettore Enrico Delfino Ligorio
<ettoreusp at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Ettore Enrico Delfino Ligorio
> +55-11-3091-6480
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Tino Vazquez <tinova at fdi.ucm.es> wrote:
>> Hi José,
>>
>> comments inline,
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior
>> <jose.junior at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So, following the site's 1.4 documentation was easy enough, what is
>>> not being easy is actually running a VM on ONE :)
>>>
>>> I tried two approaches: downloaded a pre-made image from stacklet.com
>>> and created an image using dd and debootstrap. The template file [1]
>>> below refers to the second try (debootstrap). I am using the KVM
>>> configs, ONE is installed as stand alone and mounted via NFS on the
>>> clients.
>>>
>>>  I am getting an assorted share of errors:
>>>
>>> * Machine boots, but gets stuck at the "Waiting for root filesystem"
>>
>> Try setting the disk targets as hda and hdb
>>
>>> * Using the stacklet image I got a grub screen where I could change
>>> the root to sda1, it booted but I got a lot of I/O errors and boot
>>> eventually froze. I could use VNC to send a three-finger-salute
>>> (ctrl-alt-del) and go back to the grub boot screen, using my
>>> debbootstraped image, I the salute kills kvm (but it still running on
>>> onevm list, with unknow status).
>>> * The console. There's nothing I do on that config that makes the console work.
>>
>> I suggest you try the console straight with "virsh", and then setting
>> the same in the RAW part of the VM template.
>>
>>> * Boot and kernel. Are they supposed to be in the image? Or on the
>>> host system? Kinda lost here.
>>
>> With KVM you have both choices. You can either use a kernel inside the
>> image, or you can use one present in the physical host where the VM is
>> going to be run (note that you will need the correct kernel modules
>> present in the image)
>>
>>> * VNC IP and port. If I start cloning VMs, all will try the same
>>> port/IP? And if I migrate from one client to another, will the IP be
>>> updated?
>>
>> If you are using the same template, I'm afraid the answer is yes, they
>> will try the same port. It can be an interesting feature to marry the
>> VNC port number with the OpenNebula ID, do you think this can be
>> useful?
>>

>>> So, documentation on installing and configuring ONE is great, but I
>>> could use more info on how to actually create and install images that
>>> boot and work. For example, documentation talks about Context, but it
>>> is not really clear if you always have to contextualize, or when
>>> exactly you have to do that.
>>
>> Well, I guess that depends on what VMs are you planning to run.
>> OpenNebula provides infrastructure, but it is agnostic to the content
>> of the VMs, so making such a documentation will be a great effort that
>> will produce something probably useless.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Tino
>>

>>> Unless I got everything completely wrong, I am lost :)

>>> CPU = 1