[one-users] Trying to understand the difference between OpenNebula vs. Libvirt

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Thu Feb 25 03:22:34 PST 2010

Hi

> So what does OpenNebula provide that libvirt doesn't? My take:

I think that is not the right angle to understand the role of each
component. OpenNebula and libvirt are totally different things, just
in the same way that Xen and libvirt are different. In fact there are
libvirt drivers for OpenNebula, as there are drivers for Xen.

You can interface your OpenNebula-based cloud with 5 interfaces:

* Native XML-RPC (with high-level bindings in Ruby, Java will be
released shortly)
* libvirt, check http://www.libvirt.org/drvone.html
* EC2 Query API
* OCCI
* RedHat's Delta Cloud, check http://www.deltacloud.org/drivers.html

So when using libvirt the relationship between OpenNebula & libvirt is:

* libvirt on-top-of OpenNebula: It provides you a widely adopted
interface to manage you cloud. So for example you can use virsh create
instead of onevm create.

* libvirt under OpenNebula: OpenNebula uses libvirt to interface KVM
in the cluster nodes.

You could have something like this to create a VM:

(virsh create) ---libvirt---> (OpenNebula - distributed management)
---libvirt---> KVM

So as Jack pointed out OpenNebula gives you the distributed management
(scheduler, image movement, networks...) and libvirt gives you an
interface to access that functionality.

Cheers

Ruben