[one-users] Moving away from vmware, here are my modifications

Tiago Batista tiagosbatista at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:59:34 PST 2010

Well, I am moving away from vmware as no license is available for me.

While setting things up, I made a few modifications that may be of use
and are attached. Sorry that this is a single patch, but I pulled this
from my running setup just to make sure that I sent some working code
this time.

I believe that this patch brings the vmware drivers functionality close
to the xen and kvm ones.

What the patch does:

1 - No more usernames and passwords on the command line for im and vmm
drivers. This is a big problem when one is installed on a shared
computer. As an example, an excerpt form oned.conf

VM_MAD = [
      name       = "vmm_vmware",
      executable = "one_vmm_vmware",
      arguments  = "--authfile /home/tsbatista/.vmware_auth",
      type       = "xml" ]

The format for the authfile is simple, one line with username:password
pair.

2 - Contextualization iso attachment, and other cdroms. This may actualy
make this driver a lot more useful as context is very important on a
IaaS plattform.

3 - CPU and VCPU. these parameters of the VM template file can now be
used just as in Xen. VCPU is the number of virtual cpus available to the
running VM, CPU is now a decimal value that can be used to manipulate
the amount of CPU shares that a VM can use.

I have used as much as I could, but some testing is still required:
CDROM: I just experimented one context iso and one cdrom iso, I never
tried to attach a third cdrom and I do not know what will be the result
of attaching a third cdrom.
Contextualization: The driver does attach the cdrom with the context
data, however I made no further tests on this one.
CPU/VCPU: I tested with as much as 2 VCPU and 0.6 CPU, this worked fine,
however I may be missing something here...
Password: I never tested a failure scenario where the file is not
available of not in the correct format, some more error checking may be
required here!

Feel free to test these modifications and include them on the next
release if you like the functionality.

Please do not ask me to perform any further testing on this as I no
longer have access to a VMWare host.

As a side note, vmware is sooo much easier to manage than xen!

Tiago