[one-users] vmware context & cdrom

Tiago Batista tiagosbatista at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 10:13:46 PST 2010

Hello all!

Let me start by thanking Tino on another subject, it seems that I took
the conversation offlist by mistake, but removing VM_DIR from oned.conf
solved my problems! Yet this must be addressed if one is to be  used on
a multi hypervisor environment with vmware...

As a thank you, attached is a provisory version of the modifications I
am making to the vmware driver, this enables the attachment of cdroms
and a context iso.

I had to make some modifications on the way a disk is specified in order
to diferentiate cdrom disks from other type of disks, and the iso file
for a given cdrom must be on the datastore at this point.

I share this in order to get comments from the community, what do you
like, dislike, and what is just plain wrong! Please note that the
GetProperty class is not mine, it was taken from the samples supplied
with the visdk.

Next, I am going to remove the username and password from the command
line, I do not like the idea that other users may look at my password
with just a ps -Af!

An example deployment file:

NAME=VMwareVM
MEMORY=128
CPU=1

NIC=[NETWORK="VM Network"]

DISK=[ source="/home/tsbatista/datastore/one-test/",
        clone="yes",
        save="yes"]

DISK=[ source="/home/tsbatista/datastore/debian-503-i386-CD-1.iso",
        clone="no",
        save="no",
        type="cdrom"]

CONTEXT = [
  hostname  = "$NAME-$VMID",
  ip_public = "$NIC[IP, NETWORK=\"VM Network\"]",
  username  = tsbatista,
  files     =
"/home/tsbatista/.ssh/id_rsa.pub /home/tsbatista/vms_configuration/init.sh",
]