[one-users] Virtual machine IP

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Mon Dec 6 08:10:34 PST 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Olivier Sallou wrote:

> Hi,
> as far as I know, if you use opennebula ip assignment, there is no MAC to IP
> automatic setup.
> If you want such assignment you should use your own DHCP server.
>
> I think IP is taken from a pool, that's all.
>
> Olivier
>
> Le 12/6/10 4:30 PM, Daniel.MOLDOVAN at cs.utcluj.ro a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anyone now what is the mecanism behind assigning IP addresses to the
>> virtual machines based on their MAC? Or has someone managed to assign a
>> static IP to a virtual machine?

The core mechanism if you don't use contextualization is
just to take the last 4 bytes of the MAC and make that the IP.
But it is possible in the "FIXED" type of network to specify
MAC-IP pairs.

It is also possible via the contextualization to assign a given
static IP to a virtual machine regardless of the MAC address it might
have,  I do that all the time.

>> I am using KVM. I have a situation in which i atach a virtual machine to a
>> bridge, but the virtual machine never gets the IP i have assigned.
>> Opennebula reports that the machine has the IP i have assigned, but that
>> is not true. A manual check reveals a totally different IP.

Do you have the one-context script installed inside your VM?
Are you using the contextualization part of the template?

Steve