[one-users] OpenNebula + Swift ? was: RE: [one-user] OpenNebula vs. OpenStack

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Mon Dec 6 05:04:51 PST 2010

HI

Some thoughts:

> Comparing the designs it seems that one distinguishing factor is that OpenNebula has a central cloud controller which is a potential single point of failure and potentially a bottleneck when scaling the size of the cloud (don't know if this is an issue in practice). Nova design seems to be more loosely coupled (but I might be wrong on this, as information on the web about Nova at this stage does not seem always easy to understand or be consistent with other information you find).

Single point of failure: As far as I know the Nova/Eucalyptus
Cloud-Cluster controller architecture does not provide any HA /failure
tolerance feature. In this sense the Cloud controller is the single
point of failure (I may be wrong, though). There are some HA work
undergoing for the next release of OpenNebula, as well as some
configurations that can be applied now to improve the failure
tolerance of OpenNebula.

Scalability:  Note that the systems that will impact scalability (i.e.
monitoring, image distribution mainly) does not need to follow a
single tier architecture. In fact large scale OpenNebula deployments
uses specialized monitoring systems (e.g Ganglia which is multi-tier)
or high-formance distributed FS.  Additionally, we are working in some
OpenNebula-2-OpenNEbula drivers to further federate cloud
infrastructures. Although the goal of this developments are not
scalability but datacenter federation.

Cheers

Ruben

--
Dr. Ruben Santiago Montero
Associate Professor (Profesor Titular), Complutense University of Madrid

Weblog: http://blog.dsa-research.org/?author=7