[one-users] Stop-Resume/Migration Issue with checkpoint file in a bridged network NFS environment

Jerry Deng jerry at ideacore.com
Tue Dec 28 08:53:39 PST 2010

Hope everyone is enjoy his/her holiday season.

I am very much of a newbie here.

With the following setup, I was able to deploy and run the VM (can ssh in
it);  however, when trying shutdown VM, it tried and rebooted up.  (I
already check ACPI="yes" on the template file).  When we do either
stop-resume or migrate to another hosts (in which I have two hosts at the
moment), it couldn't write the file to /var/lib/one/<vmid>/images (this is
my system-wide express installed NFSed location).  So I went ahead and added
to the front end server /etc/exports with "no_root_squash".  After which,
the daemon is able to write checkpoint file to that location (filed will be
owned by root with rw access given to root group and others).  However, the
saving process never finishes, the KVM process is stucked with no logging
information stored in any log, the VM will be in "SAVE" state and you could
not apply any action to it using onevm command.   Then I came across a
couple of blog posts where someone suggest adding a "touch" command to
create the checkpoint file at the location as "oneadmin" (instead of "root")
before the saving process begin.  With that dirty hack in the
"one_vmm_ssh.rb" file, the checkpoint file will be an empty file owned and
grouped by "oneadmin" with 0 byte in size.  Which probably means the saving
process can't access the file at all.  Then I added "chmod 666" to the hack
and that didn't work neither.  I am running out of ideas.  Please help,
anyone, any ideas? inspire me!

Setup:
Ubuntu 10.04, KVM, NFS, OpenNebula Express 2.0 installed with bridged
ethernet over eth0
(virbr0 over eth0 where virbr0 is assign 192.168.0.201, and the hosted VMs
are passed with public IP 192.168.0.220)
Testing Image with TTYLinux.one template (mostly the same as the existing
one listed here <http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.0:vmg>)

Jerry Deng