[one-users] Migration woes and a vnc question

saint at eng.it saint at eng.it
Mon Dec 20 03:49:25 PST 2010

Hello gentlemen!

	  I was checking my network configuration for the VMs, i created a
vnet following  RH/CentOS instructions  and then  tried the  tty linux
vm. Fine, I  was able to slogin  it from a machine  different from the
node running the VM.

	 Short time cheer. I migrated the machine and ... No connection! I
feared that  my sysadmin skills  (sort of industrial  archeology) need
some more work with  an heavy duty grinder to remove  the rust. Then I
started vnc  on the  failing machine  and found  something a  bit more
disappointing: the VM was failing the boot due a fsck panic, requiring
administration pwd or fsck & reboot. I opted for the latter, root file
system was  claimed to be clean...  By the way the  /etc/fstab file of
the vm image says  that all the partition have 0  for both fs_freq and
fs_passno  field,  the   latter  meaninng  that  no   fsck  should  be
performed... Latter migration went O.K.

    Except when I tried the livemigrate command, which caused this to
pop up in the log:

 LOG - 27 Command execution fail: /tmp/one/vmm/kvm/migrate one-27 red3

 LOG - 27 STDERR follows.

 LOG - 27 error: Cannot access CA certificate '/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': Permission denied

 LOG - 27 ExitCode: 1

 MIGRATE FAILURE 27 -

 POLL SUCCESS 27 STATE=a USEDMEMORY=65536

(timing and [VMM][D]: Message received: header omitted to save space).

/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem does not exist. Should I create it ? Or should
I get it in some CentOS package ?

And then the VNC question. Is there a way to specify a "dynamic" IP in
the VM template,  something like what's done for the  IPs that will be
used by the VM ?

Thanks in advance!

--
ing. Gian Uberto Lauri
Ricercatore / Reasearcher
GianUberto.Lauri at eng.it

Engineering Ingegneria Informatica spa
Corso Stati Uniti 23/C, 35127 Padova (PD)

Tel. +39-049.8283.538         | main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],
Fax  +39-049.8283.569		  |    (unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}
Skype: gian.uberto.lauri	  |          David Korn, AT&T Bell Labs
http://www.eng.it 			  |          ioccc best One Liner, 1987